Monday, January 19, 2009

Joe thinks highly of Physicians because we all do.

The question posed is a very interesting one.  This same question could probably be asked for any other "top of society" degree like Ph.D., or DrPh, or PharmD, etc.  
What would the normal "Joe" think about a nutritional supplement endorsed through the ranks?  Let's start from the top.  If it is endorsed by an MD, Joe thinks, "Wow!~  These vitamins are endorsed by a doctor.  I may have never heard of this doctor, but still he is a doctor.  He has many years of schooling, he is far more intelligent and skilled than I am.  When I'm sick or feel like I might be dying, I go see my doctor to save me from my ills, and help me feel better.  He has the possibility of power over life and death.  Though, this MD is not my doctor that I know and trust, I still trust him because like all doctors, he is a savior, powerful, knows all, and I can trust him to endorse only what can be good for my health".
If the nutritional supplement is endorsed by a Registered Dietician, Joe thinks, "Oh cool!  These vitamins are endorsed by a dietician.  It's probably safe for me to take these since it will supplement my lifestyle and give me a boost in what I need.  My friend is a dietician, she knows all about nutrition and what the body needs in everyday meals.  She always stresses natural foods, but since this supplement is endorsed by a dietician too, must be ok and won't do weird things to me."
Next, we go to the third level in this minimally leveled illustration.  If the supplements are endorsed by nobody, Joe thinks, "The packaging on this bottle looks really cool but I wonder if I should buy it?  What if it does weird things to me and I shouldn't take it?  Maybe I should go ask my doctor...but I would have to go make an appointment just to ask him this?  I will probably forget, I wish someone could tell me whether this is a good product or not..someone credible!"
So long story short, MD's are as our society has built in general looked upon as "gods" so to speak.  They are the cures, the people who take away ailments, the ones who know all and understand all about the human body and how to save it from despair.  Ok, this might be an exaggerated statement, but in essence whether they, the MD is that great, altruistic, out for the good of mankind, and works many hours and has no personal life to save mankind from destruction, it doesn't matter...at first glance in this split-second fast paced changing world.  It is easy to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment